Normally I would have posted two New Years related posts. One would have been reviewing my resolutions from 2007, the other would have been publishing my resolutions for 2008. It appears that I was too busy returning to the US from Afghanistan last year to make or post 2007 New Year’s Resolutions. So I can’t review them.
I will take a moment to recap the year. I returned from my first deployment in Afghanistan and jumped right back into the swing of things with school. I finished out that Spring semester and decided to work at Ed Bryant Scout Reservation for one more summer. After a fun, interesting, and unique summer I wrapped up my schooling with an awesome internship in the Juvenile Services Unit of the Waukesha County Department of Health and Human Services. I graduated on December 21st, 2007 and am currently awaiting my state Social Worker Certification so I can get a “real” job. Yes, a lot happened this past year and I hope that 2008 is a little bit calmer.
On to the fun stuff…
Dan’s New Year’s Resolutions
1) Get in shape! To meet military height / weight requirements I need to loose 35 pounds. I don’t think that is going to happen anytime soon but its a goal that I am going to aim for.
2) Run a 1/2 marathon! I have my eyes set on the Las Vegas Marathon. Since it will be my first one, I’m planning on signing up for the Half Marathon. This will be a pain in my butt / legs since I hate running, but its something I am going to do. Hopefully I’ll be able to talk a few others into giving it a shot with me.
3) Get promoted! I’m sitting at E-4 in the National Guard. I’m pretty sure the only thing holding me back from getting E-5 is myself. I need to pass the APFT on a consistent basis and pay more attention to the physical part of being a soldier. I really haven’t wanted to be promoted, extra responsibility for a couple extra bucks a month, but my attitude has shifted a bit.
4) Strengthen my relationship with my family! I tend not to spend a lot of quality time with my extended family. I’m not the type to pick up the phone just to see how someones doing and I should change that. I also need to learn more about some of the relatives on my Dad’s side of the family, especially my half-sister.
5) Expand Missing Arrow Publishing! I’ve been toying around with this web publishing company for a while now, but I need to start taking it serious. I’ve already shown myself that I can sit down and make a decent profit if I try just a little bit. In 2008 I plan on developing four new sites: WiiRat.com, CSPCorner.org, CampSkits.org, and a news website related to going green. I also plan on expanding my experiments with affiliate marketing and strengthen some existing sites: Scouting News, Paper Fun, yesWebmaster, Joke It, and Aracde Rat!
6) Get Married! ok, maybe not… but I need to spice up my social life a bit. Now that I don’t have to worry about going to school and working full time, it should be easier.
7) Keep my Apartment Clean! I am a pile person. I work on stuff and it ends up in a pile, and that pile can sit there for a long time. Not necessarily dirty but it looks cluttered. I don’t want my apartment getting cluttered. Once it starts it just goes down hill.
8 ) Buy a new car! I want to get a car that I don’t have to worry about falling apart or dying on me. This will be one of my first purchases after getting a full time job, as I will need reliable transportation as a Social Worker.
9) Develop my Professional Self! Once I get my first job I want to give it my all. I know in order to be successful you must be knowledgeable so I want to keep learning as I progress in my career. I figure if I never stop learning it will be easier. This will also include Graduate School, but I’m not sure if that will happen in 2008.
10) Volunteer More! I need to give more back to the community. I always enjoy volunteering for various things but didn’t really have the time the last six months. Once I know where I’ll be settling down for a while, I plan on trying to get involved with the Red Cross, the local Scout Troop or Crew, and an organization that is trying to fight poverty.
Well there you have it. My 2008 Resolutions. We will see how I do, I’ve already broke them down into smaller measurable goals so hopefully I will be successful. Time will tell.
Happy New Year!